Sunday, August 17, 2008

Faces

My friend’s sister’s friend, a distant acquaintance of mine, short, sweet, beautiful and works in the same place as I do now. It’s strange; I have met up with her many times at workplace not as a part of my work, but in food courts. One of my first meetings was rather strange, because both of us remember each other by faces and not by names. We exchanged smiles and small talks in which she mentioned she has moved into management cadre of her organisation. All composed and professional, I appreciated the way she carried herself. We met a couple of times again, this time we knew each other’s names (obviously both of us had checked our names at our respective resources) Some time ago, I saw her yet again in the food court, with her team, trying to convince the way who serves the food to make a special dish for her team. She was all smiling, bubbly and energetic and was speaking in Hindi addressing he man as ‘Bhaiyya’. Another set of girls joined her and pressurised (rather buttered) the man up to which he finally agreed.

I was standing beside her and observing the way she was talking, expressing and convincing the man. She dint notice me. After a while, she looked at me and was surprised (can say, rather she was shocked) to see me there. I was smiling enough for her to understand that I have been there for a while. She asked “How long are you here for?” I said, “Right from the time you and your team started to butter this man up!” pointing at the man. She wasn’t really about it I guess. She said “You should have spoken to me earlier, I dint see you here. If I had, I guess I would have behaved well” .....Those last few words “I would have behaved well” is lingering in my mind since then. It is, yet again conformity to my belief that we all are two faced ‘private faced’ and ‘public faced’. I thought it is just me, this experience, kind of make me believe, it is just not me, I guess all of us. Why aren’t we just ‘WE’?..... Always.........?

7 comments:

BlackThorn said...

its BETTER we not be 'WE' all the time. Duality seems to b the best policy on earth. accept it now or life will impose it on u forever sumothr time; if not today, it shall b tomorrow.

Chitra said...

If we are "WE" always then "I" will lose its identity my dear friend. We can be "WE" always, but only with those who let us be "WE".

Unknown said...

Good one. We meet different people at different times. So we cannot be ourselves all the time. We usually are 'WE' only when we are with people who are close to us or when we are alone.

krispa said...

We cant be We , becoz we choose not be we sometimes. decision is with you itself. people just want to show whats good in them ....thats all....if its come to bad ..they like to cover up by not being themselves

Vinitha said...

If people just had a single face, then everyone’s idea about everyone else will be the same. There will be nothing enigmatic surrounding an individual and life will be a bore :)

Moon said...

Sometimes its fun and crazyness in not being "we"

Guru said...

Too many interesting comments... and it is nice to know the perceptions of people and their view point

One says it will be a bore, one says, it is to hide their bad, and some really like.. whatever,... we all do it and we all cannot live without doing it...

That is what I think..