Sunday, July 27, 2008

Indigenousness

I think it has been at least 10 years or even more I guess, since I saw this man (well, a boy at that time) I don’t even remember his name. Well, I met up with this man, who was once my tuition mate and we had interacted quite a lot then. I was amazed that he recognized me because I could have not, I guess. I was eating pani poori at a gaadi near my work place as I had some time to start my work.

Um... he stopped seeing me, though he was on his motorbike. It was a nice meet, it was awkward because I could not remember his name, (in such situations like this is it pretty usual with me). I vaguely remembered his face, but yet again, I managed somehow.

Some time ago, I was talking to one of my friends while having coffee at Adiga’s, (a restaurant) one of my teachers who had taught me in high school was also there. I was glad that I knew (rather remember) him, but to my surprise, he too remembered me and called me out by name. We spoke for around five mins while my friend was busy having coffee and talking on his mobile. I waved bye to my teacher, and my friend asked me who he was. I told him that he was my high school teacher and he was pleasantly surprised that my teachers remembered me (and that too by name) I told him, it is because I have not changed a lot in the way I look, which is fairly true. I would rather like to say, I remain young in my looks, but unfortunately I can’t. Yet, the indigenousness of this place makes it mine, makes it special, and makes me feel where I belong to.

4 comments:

krispa said...

very true ....most of us go thro this type of situation

It's such a nice feeling when u meet some one like this.

Rafiki said...

I know it feels really awkward when ppl remember ur name and you just cannot. Has happened several times.

Also I remember once I met my "Auto Uncle" he used to drop and pick me up from school from 1std to 6th std. I met him once and said hello auto uncle when I was more than 20years old. He smiled and remembered my name and also remembered the fact that in 2nd std I used to hate mondays as I used to struggle with the shoe lace of my white shoes(Canvas shoes). He remembered how I used to carry my breakfast a rolled up chapathi in my hand and would be literally put into the auto by my mom. :D It feels nice to know that ppl whom u think we nvr meant anything to wud actually remember so much about us.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Usually people remember if you have left an impresion with then good or bad .... bad stays for longer :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Usually people remember if you have left an impresion with them good or bad .... bad stays for longer :)