Sunday, May 14, 2006

We dont make friends; we recognize them

This is definitely true with me. I am sure it would be with most of them. I have no strategy to choose friends, Infact I don’t choose them. They happen!! I mean, I don’t make them my friends, I recognize a friend in them. I’ve always wondered what ticks between people? and especially with friends. Can anyone random be my friend? Other than the idea of global relationship and all the people in the world are friends, I don’t find any valid reason. Global thoughts apart, personally the word ‘friend’ to me has a real great meaning (don’t worry, I wont explain what it means, because I don’t know how to explain). According to me there is a clear distinction between ‘friends’ and ‘acquaintances’. Well I have been confused many times over the thin line of difference, I still am not clear how to differentiate; however I have grown up enough to recognize the difference I guess. In the past, there have been instances, to choose people as friends; a few took more time to recognize a friend in me and with a few more, I took time. I think, it is not the quantity of friends you have, it is the quality of relationship you share with your friends that is important. Over years, people grow, expectations grow, ideas change, people meet people, we always look for the face to recognize something similar… we become friends!

“We don’t make friends, we recognize them.”

Dr. Dorothy Rowe
In the book ‘Friends or Enemies’

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A catchy phrase! well indeed it is true

Guru said...

Hey anon, thanks for your comment. I am not sure if it is true in everyone's case, but it is def true in mine. :)

Chitra said...

Its true with me as well

voyageur said...

Guru, Nice one , the one I like is there are no permanent friends and permanent enemies, just permanent interests!

Guru said...

@chitra .....:)..like minds need not have to follow the rules of magnetism...


@eemvds...

"just permanent interests! " sounds good, but i feel there can be permanent friends.. am not sure of permanent enemies :)