Saturday, April 18, 2009

On Road

Strange is the word which I have to use today. A bike ride of some 20 kilometeres with not a lot of pre occupied mind, can make one feel realize the petite pleasures.
A small family on a motor bike and their little daughter in the front was enjoying the dusty ride and was not happy when her father stopped at traffic lights. The father started to say why he stopped at red lights. The child was happy to learn a new thing and was quiet for a few seconds and then she smiled at her father. I guess she must be imagining what would have happened if her father would have jumped the signal.
An elderly couple on the TVS 50, the once life line of commute among the urban middle class Bangaloreans, was so happy. I cant think of a reason for them be to be sad. There was something strikingly different in them. They were so full of life and smile and were genuinely happy.
A baby, toothless, was all smiling at all the people in the traffic lights. It caught the attention of four more bike riders other than me around the baby and that smile was transferred to all. All of us exchanged the smiles. All random strangers on road.
Strange I feel! I wonder, if most of us (includes me) have lost the art of finding pleasures in trivial things like these.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you think the pace of today's world has something to do with the disappearing smiles? The faster, the more stressed...

BlackThorn said...

Beautiful post!!! This must be during morning time i guess. or mebbe evening. Nice portrayal of the scene. Brought a smile on me too :)