Sunday, April 16, 2006

The French woman

A knock on the door on my friends flat, a loud noise of someone climbing down the stairs hurriedly that hushed down in a second. The entire exciting suspense dint result in the door being opened, but I definitely heard that F word by a feminine voice once my friend opened the door. She has run down the stairs to turn the stove off which had already burnt her bland and tasteless pasta. All curious with our heads down trying to see what is left in that burnt pan, which dint actually give me a chance to see the person who was responsible……

Thanks to the burnt pasta, it ignited a conversation between us three. It was then I actually got a chance to glimpse the beautiful face. She was gorgeous, like a Greek angel. The kitchen was all murky with the smoke from the burnt pan under cold water. My friend introduced each other and it was just laughter after that. After half an hour of talk about people in France, India and the UK and their lifestyles there was a pause. She broke the silence by asking me ‘Are you married?’ I threw my lavish smile at her and replied ‘No’ and my immediate ticklish impulse was to ask ‘And U?’, which I did. I was amazed by her response. She said ‘I don’t believe in relationships’. She was in her late thirties and had only had a few ‘no strings attached’ relationships to quench her humane needs (exact words used by her). She gave an example of her uncle in France who had married and divorced five times and now he is still single (???). She had lost all the belief in relationships and was not in touch with any of her family as well. I was muted for a while, she was defending her belief. She was happy to speak to someone about all these. I was happy that I gave her a chance to speak. It was late in the night by then and I had to leave. She had settled down by ordering an ‘all meat’ pizza. I smiled, shook my hands and said diplomatically ‘it was nice to meet you’ and I heard a response ‘same here’. She was at the door when she waved and said ‘you speak good English’. I waved back with a ‘ta’ at the end and said ‘we speak English back at home as well’.

The whole experience was something unusual. It gave me food for thought for the whole night and I thought; I was so fortunate not to be born in such a family or country. I am glad that we don’t have to lead our lives by following such examples. A strong bond, a feeling that relationships are made forever still binds us. I can never forget that woman; she has made me feel that we Indians are great with strong ethical values and family bondage. I feel she is one single example of west, is there is something that these people should learn from us or is it just that we follow them blindly and accept anything that has a tag ‘comes from west’ ?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, 'twas interesting to learn about ur french encounter. ur understanding of the incident reflects the way the west is perceived amongst indians, which is true to a greater extent.As my observation tends to make a point that west is bombarded with choices so much so that people have started applying them to relationships(who's complaining? might be their argument.As a generic social principle, things or practices which everybody or most people does in a society, becomes an understated rule or gets a stamp of approval by and large.so when everyone's(?) into that, who's complaining?).Its only in England(which is the only west i've been to so far & do i need to taste the rest of the west?), did i learn that a wife walks out of a marriage on the grounds that she needs some space.........?.well the list goes on........

but there are truly somethings india can learn from the west like being organized.

Harsha S Rao said...

Hmm...interesting. No comments! For if I start....I might go on and on...:)

Anonymous said...

I second your opinion on the topic..on a general note, these people donot give a damn to any kinda relationship or do they understand the importance of marriage..
to top it,this has become a fad which their society is into..no one complains or cares..as we see in our part time jobs here in UK, a couple pays seperately for their shoppin bills n argue who shall pay for their kids' stuff!!
although in india, people r catching up very fast to this culture..
i think we need to some more movies like RDB to instigate and inculcate values in youngsters..

Guru said...

thanks for your comments people. I was curious about this article...and I think there are far many Fors rather than Againsts..

Anonymous said...

good one pal. you should try your hand at writing as well.

Guru said...

thanks anonymous.. will try..sometime in life.